Wednesday, October 10, 2012

las cosas que extraño

I have been back from Peru for two months, and I still miss it a ridiculous amount. I miss those kids and their cute phrases and how they say my name. I miss my friends so much. After I go on adventures, I always vow to never do anything fun again because I always end up missing the people and the places. The world is just too big! I made a list of things that I miss. They are all the artificial things, aka not the people and things that are deep in my heart. But here are some!
JUGO DE NARANJA<3 br="br" nbsp="nbsp">

 Los parques. One night my friend and I walked around, found a park, and just sat and talked. It was so lovely. There are parques everywhere. Many are religious and have religious statues in the middle.
I didn't have a good picture of the food, but of the food that I ate, I miss the potatoes the most. Peru really has the best potatoes in the world. A popular potato dish is papas a la huancaina. It's a cheesy sauce. Ahhh I have been craving it! They also eat fries allll the time and I miss that too. In the picture above, I ate a straight up fish, head attached and all!

 LOS TAXIS. I rode in a taxi at least twice a day. Once going to school and once going home. I went with the maid in the morning and one of the teachers in the afternoon. I was never by myself. If I was with my friends, we piled four in the back seat often. I miss how cheap they are. I had a dream the other night where I was going into a taxi and they asked for like 100 soles and of course I knew better and was like "uhh 5 soles?" Silly dreams. I also miss the driving there. They don't really follow the rules. Weaving is a must in downtown. Honking of horns is constant. I miss the sounds the buses make. Their weird horn songs. Of course it drove me crazy at night when I was trying to sleep! But I long to be awake by those noises now. I also miss crossing the street. They don't stop for pedestrians so you are on your own. I learned how to guage how fast they were going so I would start walking and have them just barely pass when I crossed. It's weird crossing the street now and doing that same thing, but the cars stopping for me. I always feel bad, and a little silly.

I don't have a picture to represent this one, but I miss the fact that no one has keys to the house. We always rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer. One time the keys got left in the house by both the parents I was staying with, so we had to go to the grandma's house late at night to get a key. And we were starving. Rough times. 

So that's what I miss right now. Obviously so much more. But it's the little things right?

No comments: